Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Lady's Choice: 11 More Movies to Look Forward to in 2015

Guess who's taking over!

We are halfway done with 2015, and this year has been the year of movies for me. I have seen a lot this year (almost 1 a day between new ones, old ones that I hadn't see yet, and re-watches), but there are still a lot that I am looking forward to. Now, when I first put this list together I had a lot of the same movies that I put on the first list I made back at the beginning of the year. So I decided that if it was on that list, it couldn't be on this list. Also, it has to come out after July 4th, even if Brian posts this way in after that. Here we go with 11 more awesome looking movies that are coming out in 2015:

Trainwreck (July 17, 2015)
I am not a fan of most chick flicks. I also have not seen Bridesmaids, though I really like Knocked Up. In fact, when I first saw the posters for this movie, I just shook my head. Then the trailers started coming out, and I found myself laughing. Trainwreck stars Amy Schumer as Amy, a girl who has taken her father's advice that monogamy is not possible, and Bill Hader, as the sports doctor Aaron Connors. Amy is assigned to interview Dr. Connors, who becomes taken with her. Of course, hilarity ensues. I'm not expecting Oscar material, but I am looking forward to a good time.


Straight Outta Compton (August 14, 2015)
This one really surprised me. I had no clue they were making a movie about this until about a month ago when I saw the first trailer. I recognize Dr. Dre and Ice  Cube but do not the whole story. Perhaps that is what peeked my interest so much. It looks like it is going to be well acted and well written. Of course, this is based on just seeing the two different trailers. It stars O'Shea Jackson Jr. as Ice Cube, Corey Hawkins as Dr. Dre, Jason Mitchell as Eazy-E, Neil Brown Jr as DJ Yella, Aldis Hodge as MC Ren, and Paul Giamatti as Jerry Heller as their manager.  


Sinister 2 (August 21, 2015)
The first Sinister scared the crap out of me. We walked out of the theater, and I kept double checking all the shadows real quick cause I thought I was seeing things. Needless to say, I was excited when I heard that they were making a sequel and a little nervous at the same time. The first was so good that I don't want a bad sequel to spoil the Sinister name. This one picks up after the first one with a young mother and her twin sons moving into a rural house where Bughuul resides. Bughuul of course tries to get one of the sons to murder his family. I find it funny that James Ransone, who also started in the first movie, is actually billed as Deputy So-And-So, a nickname given to him in Sinister. The poster to the left was released not too long ago and give me a lot of hope for this horror sequel.

Hotel Transylvania 2 (September 25, 2015)
When I found out about this sequel and talked to a colleague about how I couldn't believe it got a sequel, she told me that the first one was actually pretty good. So, Brian and I rented Hotel Transylvania, and it was pretty good. It was fun despite staring Adam Sandler as Dracula. With all of the cast returning, I am looking forward to this kid friendly Halloween-time release. Dracula is now a grandfather and has to face the fact that his grandson, who's mother is vampire and his father is human, might not have inherited any vampire. To make things more stressful for Dracula, his father Vlad arrives at the hotel for a family visit.
 

The Martian  (October 2, 2015)
This year seems to be the year for a lot of big budget sci-fi movies from Jurassic World  to Ex-Machina. And that is not a bad thing. I have always been a fan of sci-fi movies. Matt Damon stars as Astronaut Mark Watney who is believed to be dead after a storm on Mars and the rest of the time leaves. This leads to his fight for survival and trying to make contact, which a rescue mission will take four years or more. This movie reminds me of the Alien franchise in that it appears to have a confining set. It probably is also important to mention that Ridley Scott, who directed Alien, is the director.

Pan (October 9, 2015)
Disney has done and plans to continue a string of live action versions of their animated classics, which I happen to really like. While this is a retelling, live action version of Peter Pan, this is a Warner Bros production with Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard, Rooney Mara as Tiger Lily, Gerrett Hedlund as Hook, and Levi Miller as Peter Pan. This also isn't just a retelling  of what we know of Peter Pan running around with Tinkerbell and the Lost Boys. Instead, this is about Peter before he became a legend when is just a orphan who gets taken to Neverland for adventure. It has a good looking cast and great visuals.

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (October 23, 2015)
I didn't see any of these movies until Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones came out on DVD. However, I am a fan found footage movies with one of my favorites being Quarantine. While I haven't seen Paranormal Activity 4, I have liked all the others in the series. They have released the first trailer for this movie, and it looks good. A family moves into a new home in Palo Alto, California, and they find the types of Katie and Kristi from the previous movies being taught supernatural abilities. In these tapes, one of the girls notice the brothers presence despite the time difference. There is also a camera that can see paranormal phenomenons. This is also supposed to the final in the series, which is produced by Blumhouse Productions.

The Last Witch Hunter (October 23, 2015)
I have recently developed more of a liking of Vin Diesel as an actor. This is probably because Brian and I watched all of the Fast Furious series before seeing Furious 7. Vin Diesel is an immortal witch hunter named Kaulder who has to protect humanity from the New York City covens and their plague. Rose Leslie plays Chloe, a female witch that teams up with Victor, and Julie Engelbrecht as the Witch Queen. It also has Elijah Wood in it. Again the visuals of the trailer were a big draw for me. 

Spectre (November 6, 2015)
Brian's already talked about the newest bond movie in his Most Anticipated of 2015. Again, this is a case of liking the actor the more a series progresses. Daniel Craig is my favorite Bond (and no I haven't seen all the Bond movies).The talk of this being Craig's last Bond movie makes me a bit sad if it is true. What grabbed my attention second after Daniel Craig is that part of the movie takes place in Mexico during the Day of Dead celebrations. The plot also shows just how complex James Bond is a character and how MI6 stays alive when political forces want to shut it down.

The Good Dinosaur (November 25, 2015)

Now this is a movie that I have already mentioned on Lady's Choice when I listed my favorite dinosaur movies. Arlo the Apatosaurus (voiced by Raymond Ochoa) lives in a world that was never hit by asteroid that wiped out all the dinosaurs. Arlos ends up loosing his father in an acident and  falls into the river. He wakes up far from home. He has to make a long journey home and along the way finds a cave boy that he names Spot (voiced by Jack Bright). I am so looking forward to Pixar's next film. I haven't seen a bad Pixar movie yet (I believe that the only one I haven't seen is Cars 2).

In the Heart of the Sea (December 11, 2015)
First off, the release date is not March. It got moved back to December after the poster to the left was made available. I think they're going for the "prestige" release date since it appears to be a movie that would probably get Oscar attention. This movie is based of the book (same title) by Nathaniel Philbrick and stars Chris Hemsworth as Owen Chase, the First Mate, and Benjamin Walker as Captain George Pollar, Jr. It is being directed by Ron Howard. Set in 1820, the Essex, a whaling ship, is sunk when it is rammed by a very large bull sperm whale. This story was the basis for Herman Melville's Moby-Dick.


Join the Filmquisition on Twitter (@Filmquisition) or by subscribing to this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment