Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Lady's Choice: E3 Reaction

Guess who's taking over!

Well, I have mixed reactions about this year's E3 gaming conference. I will admit that I did not watch all of the conference. I mainly watched the "Big 3" of gaming: Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. I was also able to catch the Bethesda and the Square Enix keynotes with bits and pieces of others.  This was all thanks to E3 being live streamed on Twitch. I am a huge fan of Twitch. I love watching live streams of my favorite YouTube gamers, just ask Brian. So, I didn't have to wait for the tweets or news posts. I just watched the Twitch live stream on my phone/tablet.


Now, I'm not a "hardcore gamer." I don't own a PS4 or XBox One. I do own a PS3, a Nintendo 3DS, and a Nintendo Wii U. So many of what I'm looking forward to will probably not be everyone's cup of tea. Also I was disappointed with the lack of certain titles from I also am not going to to into huge detail just to not make this really, really long. I'm gonna pick the ones that I am really excited about for one reason or another. So let's see what's on my "Must Play" list of E3 2015.

Arkham Knight (June 2015)
I am actually writing this on the day of Arkham Knight's release date. Now this game was not announced at E3 2015, but it was featured during Sony's keynote. This game makes me cry for not having a PS4 yet. Between the amazing graphics and Rocksteady's return to the Batman: Arkham series, this game looks like it is making use of all the new generation of consoles has to offer. While I am not liking how most publishers have been handling most DLC lately, I loved the look of the Harley Quinn DLC available for those that pre-ordered Arkham Knight. After watching several people live stream it at midnight and several YouTube videos of the first part, I can't wait until I upgrade and am able to play this.


Fallout 4 (November 2015)
I have played a bit of this franchise through friends' copies, but have never been huge into them. The more I researched this game series after Bethesda's keynote I have come to regret not playing them sooner. I'm looking forward the customization options of both the player and the world. The graphics are great looking. I like the Fallout Shelter app game that was also announced and released right away. I will have to do some more research and probably rent the games before I'm shouting in joy, but this game certainly has my attention. I'm just hoping the dog is forced to die. (I'm the kind of person that cries more about the dog dying in movies like John Wick.)

Kingdom Hearts 3 (No Official Release Date)
Oh this game, I feel like we have been waiting for this one forever! Again this is a series that I have never owned but have played the first two through friends owning them. I love the combination of Disney and combat with this videogame series. What was disappointing for me was the lack of info on this upcoming release. This was a theme with Square Enix's keynote. They had lots of announcing of games but not a lot of info. Almost all of them, including Kingdom Hearts 3, looks beautiful but have no release date. This is gonna have to a wait and see kind of title.

Star Wars: Battlefront (November 2015)
I am a huge Star Wars fan. I have played a lot of the games, seen all the movies, know a good amount of the now non-cannon extended storyline, and am dreaming of the new movie. I have memories of sitting with my cousin playing Star Wars on his system in our great-grandparents' kitchen. He had brought it over specifically to show it to me. I have even played the Lego games. This game looks fantastic. The detail that is in this game from the characters to the ships to the terrain just blows my mind away (which is true for most of the games on this list actually). Another game that makes me want a PS4 so badly. I gladly look forward to the day that I can immerse myself into that galaxy far, far away.

Dishonored 2 (2016)
Yet again, I have become excited about a game series that I have never played. Luckily, this is the second Dishonored game. As with most of the big games announced at E3 this year, this game looks amazing. This game has you make a choice that forces you to be one character or another without being able to switch, with each character having different abilities as well. This game, set 15 years after the first, has a historical/steampunk feel to it that I like. One of the big things that gaming companies have right with game is that this announcement makes me want to go back and play the first one before the sequel comes out next year.


Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (2016)
For me, I was surprised by Nintendo. First, I loved their digital event with the Muppets. It was different, risky, and, in the end, the most interesting presentation of this year's E3. On the other hand, there were not as many announcements that got me excited as there have been in the past years. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam is one of those games. I love both series. When I first bought my 3DS, two games that I put on my want list were from these two series. What seems most interesting to me is just how these two very different kinds of games are going to work together. Are there going to be stickers? How will combat work exactly? How will all of the characters interact not only with their counterparts but with others? So looking forward to this Nintendo release next year.

Rise of the Tomb Raider (November 2015)
I'm sounding like a broken record in saying this, but this game looks great. I loved renting and playing the previous Tomb Raider game. This game looks like it took the good of the last one and expanded upon that, including making Lara Croft into more of a believable character. The detail and work that they showed going into this game is astounding. The entire time I kept thinking back to the first games and how far they have come. Sadly, this game is being released the same day as Fallout 4 and the same month as Star Wars: Battlefront. So far, that seems to be the creators biggest mistake.


Hyrule Warriors for 3DS (2016)
Now, I was a bit confused at first when this game was announced. Nintendo has released previous titles on both handheld and console, but they announced that ahead of time. I think this is a response to the popularity of Hyrule Warriors for the Wii U. I got Brian the Wii U game for his birthday I believe; however, we haven't opened it to play it yet. The inclusion of more characters and a different storyline intrigue me enough to pay closer attention. In the end, I can't wait for this game next year. If nothing else, I'll finally get to play Hyrule Warriors!


Yoshi's Woolly World (October 2015)

Last game is also a Nintendo game. Being previously announced and known about for a while, Yoshi's Woolly World is coming out later this month in other parts of the world, but the US will have to wait a bit longer. I love that Nintendo is playing with different textures with some of their games. Kirby has done clay and yarn already. Yoshi has been one of my favorite Mario characters since I was younger, and I jumped at the last Yoshi game. This one looks so playful and bright, not to mention just pure fun. It kind of intrigues me based on the fact that I do crochet a bit. Also, while there will probably not being very many available, I love the different colored Yoshi amiibos made from yarn.

Join the Filmquisition on Twitter (@Filmquisition) or by subscribing to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment