Sunday, March 29, 2015

Blog Update: Firming Up a Content Schedule - Part 2

In which I detail upcoming changes to Filmquisition.

So last night I announced a pretty dramatic shakeup to the way that I publish articles on Filmquisition.  Rather than just posting what I have as soon as I have it, I'll divvy articles out on a more even and consistent basis: aiming for one review, one news item and one editorial every weekday.  Today I hope to go into more of the details surrounding this schedule shakeup: specifically when each article series will be posted during the week.
In keeping with my renewed efforts to consistent posting, I will aim to post specific articles on specific days of the week.  While I already kind of do this to some extent already - The Weekend Review on Mondays and Unreality Companion on Fridays - I want to take it to the next level: where things are posted because it's their scheduled time to be, not because I finally got around to writing it.

Most news items - mostly Extra, Extra! and Trailer Park - will be posted on an as-needed basis each week.  Other pieces - such as Oscar 101 and the BlogNetflix and Home Video updates - and time-sensitive editorials like The Monthly Countdown and certain Counterpoints will receive priority when their time comes.  If I have to post an extra news article on a heavy news day (or, God forbid, replace a differently-themed piece), then so be it.

MONDAY:

The Weekend Review - The Weekend Review is still going to be the go-to review article on Monday.  Although it technically can cover non-movies, in keeping with the focus of Filmquisition, it will rarely stray from its usual aim.  Whenever possible, it will also be focused on new movies that came out to theaters that weekend, although it may occasionally lapse into any movie that I happened to see over the weekend.

The Weekend Report - Monday isn't the only day of the week that comes with a firmly scheduled news article anymore (which I'll get more into in a bit), but it is the first.  As always, the focus will be discussing the weekend's winners and losers at the box office and be sprinkled with a few of my thoughts on the matter.

Tuesday:

From the Vault - This seemed the best place to put my review of a randomly selected movie that I already own, since Revisited makes most sense later in the week (for reasons that I'll touch on shortly).  While potential reviews might sometimes be commandeered by other series (Revisited and Diamond in the Rough) immediately come to mind, there'll still be plenty of movies to choose from.

AdapNation - I don't want to spoil too much about this new series, so let's leave it at "I'm absolutely stoked about it" and "I don't see this going anywhere anytime soon."

Wednesday:

Date Night - Although some part of me still feels that Date Night should be on Friday, this is a perfectly good spot for it, since Unreality Companion seems to be a movie review half of the time.  It really doesn't matter when the article's posted, though, since these Netflix movies will still be just as random as when this blog started.

Trending - This is another new article that I've been meaning to get off of the ground for a while, but better things kept coming along to steal the spotlight.  This week is the one, however, and I'll hold off on a full introduction until then.

Thursday:

Revisited - What started out as a simple curiosity has proven to have some real staying power.  There always seems to be something relevant to revisit, whether Marvel movies before Age of Ultron, Bond movies before Spectre or Star Wars movies before The Force Awakens.  I'm also planning on opening this up to tv series (revisiting them one season at a time) and maybe even some video games (I'm specifically eyeing Majora's Mask after playing through its 3DS remake), but movies, in the end, will rule the day.

Throwback Thursday - I'm still committed to bringing over most of my Unreality articles to Filmquisition, and in the future republishing choice or relevant Filmquisition posts themselves.  Although it's mostly intended to be an editorial feature, it will invariably have its share of reviews republished before too long.

Friday:

Unreality Companion - This mainstay isn't going anywhere anytime soon (at least as long as I continue to publish articles through Unrealitymag.com).  It's the sometimes-editorial, sometimes-review that expands on whatever I wrote about from across the internet.

The Weekend Forecast - Since starting The Weekend Report, I've noticed how oddly tacked on its secondary purpose is.  The retrospect over the weekend's new movies worked out perfectly, but the preview into things to come never quite felt like it was its own thing.  Starting Monday, it will solely focus on the previous weekend's movies, and The Weekend Forecast will talk about the weekend's new releases: what looks good, what looks terrible and what to expect come Monday.
There are a few other new series that I plan on getting started in the next couple of weeks, but they will likely end up being intermittent ones: cropping up when there's something especially interesting to talk about or an article gap that needs to be plugged.  Also expect to see a few random editorials floating around just because (even though most of them should comfortably fit under one of the aforementioned series).

I'm curious now: which article series has been your favorite thus far?  Do any of the new series sound appealing to you?  Share your thoughts in the comment section below.

Join the Filmquisition on Twitter (@Filmquisition) or by subscribing to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment